Click or press the down arrow to select a date
1  Adults
0  Children

Salmon Ruins

Situated on the north bank of the San Juan River, the Salmon Ruins date back to ancient Chacoan tribes as early as 1090 C.E. The ruins were originally built with up to three hundred separate rooms and subsequently rearranged and partitioned further by later occupants such as the Pueblo tribes and later the San Juan people.

Since the site’s excavation and preservation projects began in the 1970’s and 1980’s the goals have maintained to protect and preserve the site in order for research and education to be done.

The Salmon Ruins museum is located onsite and provides visitors with a wealth of information regarding the past and present state of the ruins. Salmon Ruins holds a place on both the National Register of Historic Places in addition to the New Mexico State Register of Cultural Properties.